Getting ready to bring a new pet into your home? This can be an exciting time, but sometimes it’s hard for children and older pets to adjust. Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to make the transition as easy as possible. Don’t forget to ask your veterinarian in Fresno, CA 93727 to help by giving you specific tips for your individual circumstances:
- Be prepared before you bring them home: You should make it a point to do your research before you bring a new pet home. Find out what your new pet will need (whether breed- or animal-specific) and make sure you’ve got everything ready to go. You may also consider taking a few days off work to supervise while they’re getting acclimated.
- Let them settle in quietly: Don’t force introductions to other pets or children right away. New animals (especially young ones) can quickly get overwhelmed. For best results, give them a room they can explore on their own, then introduce them one at a time.
- Make the first introduction to other pets by scent: Animals rely on scent to understand the world, so it’s smart to let them get accustomed to each other by scent before they meet in person. You can do this by swapping their blankets, or putting a sock on your hand to pet one animal, then giving it to the other to check out.
- Keep initial interactions under strict control: Cats are quite territorial, and dogs can be dangerous to cats even if they don’t mean to be. As your new pet is getting used to your home and their new housemates, keep all interactions supervised and limited. If, for example, you’re introducing a boisterous dog to a new kitten, keep your dog on a leash.
- Separate a new pet’s food, water and litter boxes: Any animal can become territorial, so make sure you keep their food, water and litter boxes separate at first. If the older pets don’t feel like they’re competing for basic needs, they’re less likely to resent the new addition.
- Give the new pet plenty of space: It’s natural for you, your family and other pets to be curious about the new pets and excited to play with them. However, some pets need plenty of space to get used to their new surroundings. If you have cats, make sure there are plenty of vertical areas where they can get away from each other.
- Give all your pets plenty of attention: When you have a new pet in the household, your older ones can become jealous. Make it a point to give attention to all of your pets so they understand that they’re not being replaced.
Following these tips will help to ensure a smoother and more peaceful transition for everyone in your household.
If you need veterinarian services in Fresno, CA 93727, or are looking for more information about welcoming a new pet into your family, Sunnyside Pet Hospital is here to help. Call us today to schedule an appointment.