Now that spring is officially here, you and your pets will probably want to spend a lot more time outdoors. Although this is an opportunity for even more fun, it also increases the chances of dehydration, lost pets and injury. Thankfully, keeping your pets healthy in Fresno, CA 93727 is easy when you know what to do.
Here are our best tips to keep your pets healthy and happy while enjoying your outings.
General pet safety tips
- Find a great vet: Establishing a relationship with a good vet, like the team at Sunnyside Pet Hospital, will help you keep an eye on your pet’s health over the long term. It also means you have a trusted place to take your pet in an emergency.
- Get your pet microchipped and vaccinated: Your pets need certain vaccinations based on their age, animal type and whether they’re outdoor pets. You should also microchip them in case they get lost.
- Spay and neuter your pets: Surprise litters might be cute, but finding good homes for new puppies and kittens can be difficult. Spay and neuter your pets to prevent overpopulation.
- Keep your pet indoors when you’re not at home: If you’re going out, your pets should stay in. This will keep them out of harm’s way.
- Put dangerous objects or foods away: Get to know the different foods that are toxic to your pet, and keep them securely out of reach. You should also research which houseplants, chemicals and other objects are dangerous to your animals.
- Use a collar and leash when outdoors: This will ensure your pet can’t run away, even if they get spooked.
- Stay away from unknown animals: Unknown animals may be carrying disease, and could inflict bite wounds on your pets.
Warm weather safety tips
- Don’t leave your pet in a parked car: It’s easy for a car interior to overheat very quickly. If your pet absolutely must stay inside, roll the windows down.
- Keep your pets hydrated: Always provide ample shade and water for your pets, and learn the signs of dehydration for each kind of animal.
- Limit outdoor activities on hot days: Sometimes it’s just too hot to play outdoors. On these days, you should limit your activities to the bare minimum.
- Watch out for hot pavement: Dogs and cats alike can burn their paws on hot pavement. Consider getting booties for your dog, or simply limit your walks to the grass on particularly hot days.
- Consider life jackets for your dogs: Most people assume that all dogs can swim, but this is not the case. If you’re thinking about taking your dog out to the lake or river, consider getting them a life jacket.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways a pet can get hurt both indoors and out, especially when it’s hot. When you want to prioritize your pet’s wellness in Fresno, CA 93727, follow these tips and consult with your vet. It’s the best way to keep your pet safe and happy all spring and summer long.
Call Sunnyside Pet Hospital today to set up your next appointment.