What To Do If Your Cat Has Eaten Something Toxic

There are some obvious things that can make your pet sick, like chemicals and medicines, but there are also many regular foods that you should keep your cat from ingesting, including onions, shallots, avocados, chocolate, garlic and much more.

If you believe your cat has eaten something it shouldn’t have, it’s important to call the vet right away. Doing so could help prevent long-term problems and even death.

Read on for more information on what to do if your cat has eaten something toxic.

How to know if my cat is sick from something they ate

There are several symptoms a cat may exhibit if they’ve ingested something toxic. These symptoms might include vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, respiratory problems and more. They can vary in intensity and may not even signal poisoning. For example, it’s not uncommon for a cat to vomit due to a small tummy ache or hairball. That said, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Sometimes a cat doesn’t get sick from ingesting a toxic substance directly. They may accidentally get it on their fur and eventually lick it off. That’s why it’s extremely important to keep your toxic chemicals out of reach. Chemicals like bleach, antifreeze, disinfectants and pest-control products should all be kept in a safe area that your cat can’t access.

Contact the vet

Contact your vet and say, “I’m wondering what to do if my cat has eaten something toxic.” Explain the situation, and they should be able to talk you through it. In almost all cases, the vet will recommend bringing your cat into their office. That way, they can properly assess the situation and offer the best treatment program.

If you notice your cat showing signs of poisoning, don’t put off visiting the vet. While it could just be a slight stomach issue, you don’t want to risk it. Poisoning is serious and should be treated right away.

Avoid giving them medicine made for humans

While it might be tempting to give your cat human medication when they’re showing signs of poisoning, don’t. Human medication may make the problem much worse and even end up killing your furry friend. You should only give your cat medicine provided by the vet. Giving them anything else would be extremely irresponsible.

Don’t try to wash their mouth

Don’t try to wash your cat’s mouth with water when they’re showing symptoms of poisoning, even if they are foaming at the mouth. Chances are that this will make the situation worse. You should only try to wash their mouths if they get sick from biting a toad or caterpillar. Even in these situations, however, it’s important to keep an eye on how your cat reacts and still call the vet.

As you can see, it’s extremely important to call the vet if your cat has eaten something they shouldn’t have. Let the experts at Sunnyside Pet Hospital treat your pet for all their issues. We will have your furry friend feeling better in no time.